Thursday, August 26, 2010

First Shift





I just got back from my first shift in the Birth Room!

The picture above is Becca (who is an intern) and me at the end of shift, (she is also the one that I was talking about in my last blog post).

We did have a lady come in at 1:50 right at the change of shift and by 2:30 she was 9+. She started pushing right as I was leaving for language class. So she had a baby girl around 4:15. I got back into the Birthroom right as Carmen (former student and supervisior) was cutting the cord.

So I spent my evening shadowing Becca and looking over paperwork/charts. We did have one other birth but I decided that I would observe Becca and how things go once a baby is born at the clinic. From giving the baby a bath, to the newborn exam, checking the mother and so on...


The shift went by really fast, we did send a couple patients home because they were still in early labor. So it was interesting to see people come and go as the shift went on.

In the end there was two births and a suture. Becca and I watched Carmen suture which was really cool as well. It was a great teachable moment. Carmen did an amazing job, I learned so much by just watching.

Around 9:30 Becca and I did our last checks on the mother and baby, and got ready to change shifts. As we passed the staff lounge we could smell Durian! Durian is a fruit here in the Philippines that taste like a garlic sweet onion custard. However the smell can get to you if its not the taste. So end of shift we had Durian and coke. The coke helps you keep from burping! I now know how to eat Durian have it chilled and with a coke!



>



















I feel very blessed to be here and to be apart of Mercy Maternity!


I took my bible and journal into the birthroom, so that if I do get some down time I could use that time for prayer and just relax and focus on the Lord. I started reading psalms, and I wanted to share psalm 127 and 128






Psalm 127
Unless the LORD Builds the House
A Song of Ascents. Of Solomon.
1Unless the LORD builds the house,
those who build it labor in vain.
Unless the LORD watches over the city,
the watchman stays awake in vain.
2It is in vain that you rise up early
and go late to rest,
eating the bread of anxious toil;
for he gives to his beloved sleep.
3Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD,
the fruit of the womb a reward.
4Like arrows in the hand of a warrior
are the children of one’s youth.
5Blessed is the man
who fills his quiver with them!
He shall not be put to shame
when he speaks with his enemies in the gate

Psalm 128 (English Standard Version)

Psalm 128
Blessed Is Everyone Who Fears the LORD
A Song of(A) Ascents.
1 Blessed is everyone who fears the LORD,
who walks in his ways!
2You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands;
you shall be blessed, and it shall be well with you.
3Your wife will be like a fruitful vine
within your house;
your children will be like olive shoots
around your table.
4Behold, thus shall the man be blessed
who fears the LORD.

5 The LORD bless you from Zion!
May you see the prosperity of Jerusalem
all the days of your life!
6May you see your children’s children!
Peace be upon Israel!

No comments:

Post a Comment